Monday, September 6, 2010

Last day of the pool - Good bye Summer...

Today we said goodbye to my pool.  Goodbye to memories, laughter, BBQs, hot dogs, hamburgers, brats and lazy days in the sun.
It made me a little sad to know that Summer was officially at an end when at 2 pm the shadows started to cross the spot that never saw a bit of shade until the big clock of DU started chiming at 4 or so, when we fired up the grill for the second time and started on dinner. 
Natalie and Lyndee came over and Sum showed up a bit later (with fabulous home made egg rolls), followed by CM, Nat's husband and Marc, Lyndee's fiancee.  Tons of beer, Bloody Marys, Brats and hot dogs.  Natalie pushing Lyndee in the pool, me pushing Nat in the pool, me trying to cannon ball Natalie, but backfiring cause she dove down to grab her Dolce's at the bottom of the pool and she kicked me in the face.  It'll be so cool if I get a bruise on my cheek!!  (no I'm not kidding).  Lyndee mooning my entire apartment complex a few hundred times (exaggeration - but not quite) and throwing hot dogs, buns and an empty mustard bottle into the pool.  Yes, that all happened.
Whit, Kev and G and Drew showed up - we had no idea G was in town so it was a very brief but wonderful reunion between people who's lives have taken such a turn that we who used to be so close have not been able to see each other in a very long time.
When it was time for G to leave for the airport, I cried as she walked out the door to catch her flight. 
For a minute it was like time rewound itself and we were all back together again.  Back to days that I can remember that life was happy and I was blissfully ignorant.  Before life took G away, before schedules took Whit away.
Today made me realize one thing.  G has moved to another state.  Whits schedule may not fit into ours, but Nat, Lyndee, Whit and G are all still apart of my everyday life.  Text, phone calls, emails, facebook, face to face...I have developed some of the most amazing friendships that I could have ever have imagined to have.  Sisters that I have always wanted.  Friends that I am so grateful to have.  My cheerleaders when I need them to be, my shoulders when I need my tears wiped away or to stand tall.  My encourager's, my laughter.  They make the days brighter and bearable when I think they cannot be.  They are the company that I need desperately when I am feeling alone and sad, they are my confidants, they have become apart of my soul.  I don't know if they have any idea ever, but they are helping me shape into the person that I am becoming.  People who have confidence in me.  They will never leave my side.  No matter what man breaks my heart and leaves me, I know I will never be alone with them around, be it hundreds of miles away and over the phone or sitting right next to me at dinner making me laugh.
I am so grateful to have each of them by my side.  Introducing me to pieces of myself I never knew existed, sending me texts that start my day with encouragement and positivity, telling me that there is someone out there that will listen, just being there not saying anything at all.
Good bye Summer, tomorrow they will start to drain that pool and with it some memories of GC and his friends that will dissipate as will the water.  It will be covered up until next year when the weather warms up and the snow has melted and the flowers start to bloom.  And with that I know will come the birth of new memories, new adventures, new loves...but the constants, these girls in my life.  They will always be here.  Through thick and thin.  I know THEY will be there.  THEY are my constants.  THEY are the loves of my life.
And it sure didn't hurt to get a text from my darling friend Z - my fabulous Z.  The big teddy bear of a guy who sends me texts that make me feel wonderful, sent me a text tonight out of the blue that said "Just the way you are by Bruno Mars...my song I dedicate to you just so you know".  I listened to this song for the first time and for the second time today I started to cry.  Note to self, stop drinking in the middle of the day you weepy fuck. ;-)
Just the way you are by Bruno Mars
I have an amazing life.  I realized that GC may be gone from my life, but that just opened up my eyes to see how many people really want me apart of their lives and how special I am to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment